Thursday, October 14, 2010

My resources

I was able to find this source in Jstor I decided to use this source because as I was reading the introduction I saw it had information about the U.S.A. taking over the philippines. It also show how the philippines reacted towards the invasion of the U.S.A. and how americans felt towards the U.S.A. taking over the philippines.
Glenn A. May “why the United States won the Philippine -American War, 1899-1902: pacific historical review” Vol. 52, No. 4 (Nov., 1983), pp. (353-377) Published by: University of California PressStable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3639072

My second source will be the reading from my history class "A nation among empires". I decided to pick this reading as my source because it contains a lot of information in the topic I'm going to write about spanish colonization in the philippines and how the philippines obtain its independence. Also how the U.S.A took over the philippines and how the filipinos reacted toward this situation.This reading also focus how the U.S.A had a positive impact in  the philippines.

Bender, Thomas " A nation among empires- America's place in world history". pp (219-245)


I was able to find another source in Jstor that talks about the reasons that made the U.S.A take control over the philippines. It also shows a chart that indicates how the U.S.A. took an advantage of filipinos vulnerability to take control over the country by using its power.
Foreign Policy as Social Construction: A Post-Positivist Analysis of U.S. Counterinsurgency Policy in the Philippines
Roxanne Lynn Doty
International Studies Quarterly, Vol. 37, No. 3 (Sep., 1993), pp. 297-320

In this source I was able to find more information about the philippines rule under the spanish. This information will help me better understand the relationship that the philippines had with the spanish and the name of the spanish rulers. This information will help me with the background information I'm going to provide about the philippines relationship with the spanish and the revolutionaries involve.


http://www.philippinecountry.com/philippine_history/spanish_colonization.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miriam -

    These both look like really good sources. You'll want to be sure to look at who within the U.S. supported these policies and this war, and who opposed them. See if you get a sense of whether your sources are also themselves making arguments about the impact of this intervention.

    Keep posting as you find more sources

    ReplyDelete